At Richard Miller- White, preventative dentistry is at the heart of everything that we do.
More time spent with our Hygienist Nancy Carlton with specialist education on prevention, will mean less time having teeth filled or removed and less cost to you, the patient. Something we are sure that you will welcome
Better oral health is increasingly recognised as important to the body as a whole and not just the mouth. So, what are our 8 top tips to help you enjoy better oral health?
1. Stop smoking. As well as the well known problems relating to lung cancer and heart disease, smoking is a major contributory factor in oral cancer. It can also cause gum inflammation and leads to gum recession which increases plaque build-up.
2. Enjoy alcohol in moderation. Alcohol is another contributory factor in oral cancer.
3. Avoid fizzy drinks and sugary snacks. These lead to a massive increase in plaque which can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
4. Try and restrict food intake to mealtimes. Oral bacteria benefit from the constant nourishment that snacking provide. If you must snack, then try and choose foods like fresh fruit or cheese which are better for your teeth.
5. Eat a well balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals. This will lead to healthier gums and therefore healthier teeth.
6. Brush your teeth carefully twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste. (Children under 7 should only use a pea size amount of low fluoride toothpaste).
7. Floss everyday. Ask us how to if you are not sure, do not worry, a lot of people do not know how to floss properly until they are shown!
8. Visit Nancy & Richard regularly for hygiene appointments